Heroes of Newerth (HoN) from S2Games is a DOTA like game that like all of their games supported GNU/Linux. Sadly the GNU/Linux client was always a bit behind the Windows one, but now after the release of patch 2.6.22 they are finally in par.
I’m heavily addicted to HoN and for me the GNU/Linux client was always stable as a rock, while the Windows users crashed all the time – I kept playing.
We are proud to announce a MAJOR patch for our Mac & Linux game clients. For a while now, as our Windows client received features and updates, our Mac and Linux clients have been slowly falling behind. While we always strive to make sure Mac and Linux stay updated and compatible with the latest patches, we haven’t always been able to keep them feeling as feature-complete and polished as our Windows client.
Maintaining separate clients is a LOT of work – it really requires some dedicated attention (mostly from programming) to keep things running in top shape. Through the hustle and bustle of developing the game as a whole, it’s easy, if not paying proper attention, for small bugs to crop up here and there, building up over time.
A few months ago we filled a key programming position of a dedicated Mac + Linux programmer (along with fleshing out our QA staff) to give these clients the attention and time they deserve, and we couldn’t be happier with the results (up to DOUBLE the performance in some cases on Mac). We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to not only fix up the current client, but to make sure it is among the top performing native games for both Mac and Linux operating systems (and certainly the best client in the genre). This upcoming patch not only brings them up to speed, but makes sure they look and feel great, and have all the latest features that the Windows client has.
S2 has always proudly supported Mac and Linux for our games, even when sometimes it didn’t seem economically feasible. While some other companies may choose to take the “easy” route and drop support of these clients, we simply couldn’t accept that, we were determined to redouble our efforts.
Highlights contained in this patch:
VASTLY improved performance and stability (up to 2x the performance of the current retail client)
Awesomium Integration (HoN TV, guides, player ladder ,etc)
Fancy new updater (similar to the one released recently for the Windows client – generally improves reliability of updating)
New installer (does away with the disk-image method that was causing some update issues on Mac)
Many miscellaneous bug fixes and stability improvements (fixed the most common causes of crashes, skybox reflections now work, and lots of other stuff)
Retina display support
Some of the updates here were incompatible with Mac OS X 10.4, and as such, we have dropped support of it. Keep in mind this is just the mac/linux highlights of the upcoming patch, there’s other goodies that’ll equally affect PC + Mac/Linux.
We’re excited to bring you these updates and to continue giving these clients the love and attention they deserve to continue running at top notch. If you have any Mac or Linux gamer friends, now is the time to get them hooked on HoN!
If you still haven’t tried this game, even after it went free-2-play – PLEASE DON’T ! This game is heavily addictive and will consume your life. You have been warned !
Today we have an announcement of epic proportions for the HoN community. On Friday, July 20th, Heroes of Newerth will become Free-to-Own, with all heroes released becoming free for all players. This is a major step forward in the development of HoN and after months of careful consideration and direct input from the HoN community, the time has come to make the HoN gameplay experience open to all users.
We agree with the community that HoN is best played with a full hero pool available to all players and that both the new and the longtime, dedicated players alike can benefit from the change. We want players to have the freedom to invite their friends and to recommend heroes based on playstyle and not a free hero pool. Players will no longer be limited by which heroes they can afford, so when a line-up calls for a certain hero, you can answer the call and focus on what’s important in each game of HoN.
This change is equally important in our mission to revitalize the myriad of game modes in HoN. HoN offers so many other fun twists, options, and strategies outside of All Pick that any passionate fan can attest to. We recognize this and don’t want players to be turned away from these modes due to restriction. With all heroes and game modes, players will have the complete HoN experience at their disposal.
Last, but not least, with this change we seek to have a significant impact on the competitive HoN scene. All players will now be on equal footing during competitive play. As a competitive title, we know this is going to be a beneficial change for the scene and we hope you are as excited as we are. We sincerely appreciate all of your support and dedication over the years and for contributing to the success of Heroes of Newerth. This is our way of paying that commitment forward and taking our game to the next level.
To reward the loyalty of our users, all players who purchased a hero for gold coins will be given an exclusive Mecha Gemini Alt Avatar for free. Legacy players will also receive the exclusive Mecha Gemini, PLUS a very special thank you in the form of the Legacy Bonus which rewards Legacy accounts with an extra two silver coins for every ranked (i.e. non-Mid Wars) matchmaking game they play. We will also be restructuring the pricing in the HoN Store. A majority of items will have a price adjustment making a significant amount of content easier to earn with silver coins. Coupling this with the recent increase in silver coin gain from Match Rewards, you will be able to unlock free content faster than ever!
We would also like to take this opportunity to announce that we are also working on an all new “Gated Mode” that will feature a static hero pool of iconic heroes. Gated Mode will offer the perfect controlled environment for players new and old to hone their skills and familiarize themselves with the HoN gameplay experience.
Both the Free-to-Own hero system and repriced HoN Store will be going live with the patch on Friday, July 20th.
Here’s a very special note from Director of HoN, DivA:
“As part of our continuous efforts to make the HoN gaming experience better, we set out to improve our Free-to-Play rotation and Hero unlocking model. After careful deliberation and tremendous feedback and suggestions from our community, we have come to what we all truly believe to be the best solution for enhancing the HoN experience for every one of our players. We are extremely grateful to all of our dedicated players for helping us take this massive step forward, and look forward to all of you joining us in the celebration of HoN’s natural evolution from Free-to-Play to Free-to-Own. It is an amazing privilege for us to entertain all of you, and with decisions like this we hope to entertain millions more moving forward. Thanks again for all of your support, feedback, and passion. Game HoN!”
Will Early Access continue?
Yes, Early Access will still be available in the HoN Store.
Will I continue to receive heroes for free after Early Access ends?
After Early Access ends, the hero will be added to the general hero pool and will be available for free to all players.
What will happen to Verified and Basic?
Verified and Basic will continue to be in place to protect against trolling players and players who create multiple accounts. As with before, you must either reach account level 5 or make a purchase in HoN in order for your account to become Verified.
How does the new Legacy Bonus work?
All Legacy accounts will receive two bonus silver coins upon completing a ranked (i.e. non-Mid Wars) matchmaking game.
What happens if I purchased a hero in the past?
On top of now having access to all heroes for free, players will be refunded for hero purchases made since July 5th. Refunds are scheduled to be applied shortly after the patch on July 20th.
How does this benefit me?
All game modes will become available to all players, no tokens or passes required. This means you should see shorter queue times on your favorite modes outside of All Pick.
All players will be on a level playing field. HoN is a competitive game and having access to more than 16 heroes is crucial to a fair gaming experience.
New players will now have the ability to play heroes and learn how best to utilize their abilities through gameplay, rather than trying to figure it out playing against them.
When you invite your friends to play the game, you know that your friend will be able to have the same experience as you.
So what are you waiting for ?! create a HoN account and start playing !
Today HoN (Heroes of Newerth) has become free2play and a major patch has been released.
Those who already bought an account benefit greatly by having access to all heroes and “early access” heroes unlike the others who have access to only 15 heroes at start (they can buy/earn more heroes later on).
I must confess that I’m a HoN addict and the fact that LGN isn’t updated as frequently as before is due to this great game (you can find me under the nick of MaximB).
As you may have heard, HoN is now operating under a new, free-to-play model. This was a strategic transition intended to grow our community and solidify HoN as a major player in the ever-growing genre. A thriving player base is part of the content that makes HoN great. This transition empowers us to grow an even larger, more active player base, which will ultimately benefit everyone.
How does this affect you? As an existing player, your account has been automatically upgraded to a Legacy account, giving you free access to the general hero pool. New heroes may be released as part of the Early Access Program which allows you to purchase the ability to play these heroes prior to being available for FREE in the general hero pool.
With a Legacy account, you will also have the option to play in Verified Only games, to ensure that dedicated and vested players can be seperated from Basic (free-to-play non-verified accounts) accounts. If you’d like to play with friends who are joining HoN for the first time, you can also participate in Basic games to show them the ropes. With a free-to-play model, we remove a significant barrier to entry to allow you to bring new players to the game.
Our main goal at S2 Games is to remain committed to making the best game possible and ensure our existing players continue to stay engaged and challenged with new HoN blood in the community. Thank you for remaining loyal and supporting HoN.
As many of you might have questions regarding F2P, S2Games the creators of HoN has released a FAQ :
For Existing Players
Q. How does Free-to-Play affect me?
All existing players will be marked as Legacy accounts. Legacy accounts will no longer be obtainable and will continue to enjoy free access to the general hero pool. You will be able to play in Verified Only games, but can play in Basic games if you choose. Legacy players will continue to receive all content for free, including heroes after the hero leaves Early Access.
Q. What is Early Access?
Independent of Free-to-Play is a new feature called Early Access. Players will be able to purchase Early Access to new heroes to play them before they are released for free to the rest of the Legacy players.
While heroes are Early Access, they will not be playable in Tournament Play.
Q. I already paid for HoN! Was my money wasted now that it’s Free-to-Play?
Not at all! Legacy accounts are now a rarity, part of our old business model – you’re getting additional new content (outside of any potential pay for content expansions) for free, which is a perk no longer available to new accounts whom have to unlock new content.
Q. Will Free-to-Play mean my games will be ruined by griefers and trolls?
By requiring players to either play a significant number of games or make a purchase before becoming Verified, players will have made an investment into their account. If a person griefs, they will lose this investment. We will be increasing our efforts to stop griefing through our Report a Player system so Verified players can be confident the matches they play will be good ones. Basic accounts will not have access to the Report A Player function.
Q. What about game modes that require my teammates to have access to the whole hero pool?
We’ve gone to great lengths to try to ensure that the HoN experience you’ve come to know and love will be as unchanged by Free-to-Play as possible. Game modes SD, BD, AR, and BP will require that non-legacy accounts have a Token or Game Pass in order to enter the match. The token allows them to play as any hero in the pool for that game – if they pick a hero they don’t own, the token is spent. This means that you can depend on any of your teammates having access to that crucial counter-pick in these modes, and not have to worry about team strategy being limited by what heroes your teammates have unlocked.
Q. Can I play with a friend I bring to HoN as a new Basic (free to play) account?
Yes you can, you simply will not be able to queue into a Verified Only pool.
For New Players
Q. Where can I create an account and download the game?You can create your account here. After making your account, you can download the game here.
Q. Will I need real money to play?
No. You will have access to a Rotating Hero Pool of 15 heroes and will be able to play without paying a cent.
Q. Who has a Basic account?
Anyone who has created an account since HoN went Free-to-Play and has not become Verified.
Q. What are the benefits of being Verified?
Verified players are able to queue into Verified Only Matchmaking, are able to use the Report a Player system, and are given 5 free tokens to use. Verified players can be assured that players they are playing with take their accounts as seriously as they do.
Q. How do I become Verified?
You can become verified by reaching level 5 or by purchasing Gold Goblin Coins. This is to ensure you are serious about your account.
Q. I signed up to play with my friend who is a long time HoN player, will we be able to queue in Match Making together?
Yes! Verified and Basic accounts can play together, but will be unable to queue into a Verified Only game until both players are Verified.
Q. If I only have access to 15 heroes, will I be at a disadvantage in game modes like Single Draft and Banning Pick?
Certain game modes in HoN were designed around having access to the full hero pool. For these modes, we’ve created Tokens and Passes. Single Draft, All Random, Banning Pick, and Banning Draft require either a Token or a Game Pass to play.
Game Passes let you play these modes for a certain amount of time, as much as you want, playing any hero you want. Tokens allow you to play, and will get spent if you choose a hero you do not normally own. This allows us to guarantee that, in these game modes, all of your teammates are capable of choosing that critical counter-pick hero, instead of having strategy be limited by a restricted hero pool.
You’ll get some Tokens for free when you become a Verified account. Aside from that, Tokens and Passes can be purchased via the in-game store.
Q. Can I still get a Legacy account?
No. These accounts are no longer available.
Q. Do I have to purchase heroes with real money if I want a hero not in the Hero Pool?
A major patch (2.1.0) has been released today with 2 new heroes :
——— – Heroes of Newerth is now Free to Play! * Please read Maliken’s Letter to the Playerbase * Please refer to our forums for an FAQ that will answer most questions about what this means to you
== Account Type Explanation ==
– Basic: The standard, free account new players will receive upon sign up. * Access to the weekly 15 free heroes * Matchmaking restricted to All Pick * Can purchase access to additional Heroes through the in-game store
– Verified: Basic accounts that have been upgraded through a show of commitment to their account, by either purchasing Goblin Coins or surpassing a certain threshold of play time * Access to everything a basic player has, plus the ability to participate in Verified Only Matchmaking, to guarantee separation from Basic players if desired * Can choose to play all matchmaking modes, however the use of Tokens or Passes are required (some tokens are awarded once a Basic account upgrades to Verified)
– Legacy: anyone with a paid HoN account before the F2P switch has automatically been upgraded to a “Legacy” account * Access to Verified Only matchmaking * Can continue to play all game modes without the need for Tokens or Passes * Will continue to enjoy free access to the general hero pool
== HoN Store ==
– NEW ANNOUNCER: British Gentleman Announcer – Alt Avatars are now in a big list and can be sorted by Hero Name, Price Low to High, Price High to Low, or Avatar Name – Previews for Alt Avatars changed to be much larger and more detailed – Alt Avatars are no longer in the vault, if you own them there is a checkbox next to them in the list
– Early Access * New heroes may be released as part of the Early Access Program * Early Access is a new system that allows Legacy players to purchase the ability to play these heroes prior to being available for FREE in the general hero pool * Early Access Heroes are disabled in Tournament Mode * For Basic/Verified (“Free to Play” accounts), purchasing a hero that is in the Early Access period will unlock access to that hero for all time
== General HoN Changes ==
– Matchmaking * Improved matchmaking algorithms to result in slightly faster match times, with potentially more well-balanced teams * Significantly improved matchmaking algorithms for how they pertain to 3v3 solo matching. Queue times for Grimm’s Crossing should be significantly faster for solo players.
– Social Bonus for Matchmaking added * Social Bonus is a replacement for Quick Victory * If you play with 1-2 friends (total of 2-3 people in the party), you get 1 additional coin * If you play with 3-4 friends (total of 4-5 people in the party), you get 2 additional coins
– Compendium removed, replaced with the Herodex * Now contains detailed information about Heroes, including usage stats and Guides
– General Interface Changes * A lot of the Interface has changed and been updated for ease of use * Midbar redesigned to be more clear and catchy to both new and veterans * Status Bar has players online moved from right to left side and now displays your current coins, tokens, and passes * Friends List is now limited to 100 max and shows how many you have online
– Tutorial Fixes * Fixed music warning spam in console (slightly improves performance) * Fixed an issue that was preventing the confirmation button on the “you have died” message from allowing the player to continue
– Randoming in All Pick no longer gives bonus Gold – A few small updates for stat submissions – Group chat channels will no longer show the “Auto-Connect” checkbox and accompanying tooltip next to it * Clicking the “X” in a group chat channel will now remove you from that group – Fixed a few typos in the Matchmaking window – All Random is no longer a checkbox. It is now a Game Mode similar to All Pick, Random Draft, or Banning Pick – Practice mode can now only be All Pick – Can now spawn Alt Avatars in Practice mode if you own them – Added new tooltips for when players hover over the voice chat button in the game lobby. – If a player is ignored then the player who has ignored them will no longer receive messages about them when the ignored player silences them from a channel or bans/unbans them from a channel * This also fixes people spamming you with clan invites while under the effects of /dnd
The major update to HoN is now live and available for free to anyone who purchased HoN (or will purchase) .
This remarkable update offers some ground breaking changes, there is also a huge 2.0 patch Q&A available which got some interesting info.
== Team Matchmaking ==
– Find matches faster! Boasting arranged-team or solo play, this innovative and intuitive feature increases the efficiency of game creation by automatically gathering player statistics from a variety of group sizes, formulating teams, then matching those teams in as fair a manner as possible. With the ability to customize game mode, region, and map preferences, as well as group up with players on or off your friends list, the new Matchmaking will not only make it much faster to find a game of HoN, but also maximize the fairness and quality of the match. – Playing Matchmaking rewards you with valuable Goblin Coins! Check out the new end-game scorescreen function after a Matchmaking game. – Matchmaking will be disabled initially, we’ll enable it when we’re ready to begin public testing on it this week. Once enabled, expect it to have cycles of going up and down as we gather data, iterate, improve the algorithms, and fix any bugs.
== Cosmetic Store ==
– With goblin coin currency, which can be earned or bought, players can purchase in-game brag-worthy cosmetic upgrades. The micro-transaction based store, controlled by Merrick the goblin shopkeeper, lets players customize their experience without affecting game play or allowing the purchases to change the level of competition.
– A new action-packed and exciting map that includes a two-way teleporter in the middle area, allowing for more innovative fighting strategies and tactics. Grimm’s Crossing is a battlefield for the bloodthirsty. The terrain favors the cunning and aggressive, as hidden paths within the trees can provide a quick way to rout unsuspecting enemies. There is precious little territory to be contested over; battles are won and lost at frantic paces, often beginning and ending unexpectedly.
– Features of the new map: * 2 lanes that are very close together * Only one set of towers outside of each base * Small, tightly packed map * Neutral creeps spawn only in the middle section of the map * No elevation at entrances into bases * 1 rune spawn location in the center * Towers’ armor scales with number of players alive; Buildings have 100% of armor when all are alive, scaling to 0 armor when your entire team is dead. This is active if with both Casual and Normal mode on this map. * Twin teleporters for quick transit and fun surprises * It’s a winter wonderland! Try the snow weather on this map!
== New Game Mode: Casual Mode ==
– This entirely new mode of play will provide new HoN players and casual gamers with a more “fun,” less punishing way to learn and play HoN. Elements in Casual Mode speed up progression and increase rewards in ways that remain true to the game’s core identity, delivering a version that can be embraced by new and veteran players alike.
– Changes from Normal Mode to Casual Mode are as follows * Exp range from 1000 to 1300 * Removed gold loss on death * Increased hero bounty ** Hero base gold bounty: from 200 to 300 ** Hero gold bounty per level: from 5 to 10 * First blood bonus: from 200 to 300 * Gold bounty per streak: from 50 to 75 * Hero assist gold totals 50% of kill amount, split between all assisters * Radius assist gold base: from 30 to 0 * Radius assist gold per level: from 5 to 0 * Respawn time per level from 4 seconds to 3 seconds * Denies no longer deny experience * Uphill miss chance removed * Creeps give 1.25x of average normal mode value, no gold fluctuation * Buildings give 1.5x of average normal mode value, no gold fluctuation * Towers give global experience when killed, even to dead people, (by tower level): 150,200,250,300 * Tower last hit gold bounty: from 470,520,570,620 to 300,350,400,450 * Tower Team gold bounty: from 200,240,280,320 to 300,350,400,450 * The amount of experience required to reach the next level increases as the game goes on. This means that at the beginning, players level up a lot faster than in Normal Mode, but in the mid and late game they level up at about the same rate as in Normal Mode. * Buyback costs are at 1.75x normal mode values * Towers’ armor scales with number of players alive; Buildings have 100% of armor when all are alive, scaling to 0 armor when your entire team is dead.
== New Interface Features ==
– We have revamped the in-game interface to be more dynamic, informative, and efficient.
– Enhancements include: * Advanced mini-map interaction. Try hovering over heroes, buildings, or wards! * Pull down tabs in the upper right for intuitive access to vote functions and game options * Graphic kill messages for feedback when you net a kill in the upper left. * A gold counter to see the breakdown of your gold earnings from different sources. Hover your mouse over your gold count to see the exact breakdown! * Experience range indicators to mark enemies within the experience gain range. You will notice a small purple diamond next a creep’s health bar when you are in range and a purple diamond effect will play when they die if you got experience. * Context-sensitive pings to highlight the object and send out alert messages to allies. Try Alt+Clicking an ally, enemy, or building. * A hover-over inventory to allow for quicker inventory feedback on allies and enemies. Hover over an enemy to quickly see their inventory.
== BETA Map Editor ==
– With the exact same tool that we used to make HoN, users can now create and edit maps for enhanced single-player experiences. Users who are inspired to create multi-player maps can submit their map designs to the HoN DREAM website for potential inclusion in HoN. Also, in conjunction with scripting manipulation, players can create their own custom modes. – This is still a BETA version of the Map Editor, and as such still has features to be added, polish to be done, and bugs to be fixed. Keep this in mind! – To open the editor, use the editor.bat file in your HoN directory or re-install the game and it will automatically add a shortcut to your start menu as well
== Weather Effects ==
– A storm has arrived on Newerth with HoN 2.0 and it shows! Change the weather of the map you are in at any time through the Options menu and feel free to sing in the rain. – Players can set their preferred weather effect in the interface options or with a chat command. Right now we support “Rain” and “Snow”. The default is “Off”.
– Chat commands are as follows: * /weather * /weather None * /weather Rain * /weather Snow
– We included a text file with instructions on how to make your own weather effects in the HoN directory
== New Item: Spellshards ==
– It’s time for the magic users of Newerth to show their true power! With Spellshards, they can pierce the defenses of the enemy and burn them to a crisp that much faster. – The wielder’s spells ignore a portion of their enemy’s magic armor, causing increased magic damage. – After obtaining this item, the recipe may be re-purchased to upgrade it. Can be upgraded two additional times. – Components: Great Arcana (1675) + Recipe (1000)
– Stats: * 6 Intelligence * 17 Damage * 10 Attack Speed * 3/6/9% Cooldown Reduction * 75% Mana Regeneration * Causes any Magic damage you deal to ignore 2/4/6 of your target’s Magic Armor. This effect can never cause their magic armor to go below 0.
– Note: The item “Trophy Belt” did not make it into this patch.
== Nemesis and Payback ==
– Beat down an opponent hard enough and you will become their Nemesis! Be careful, though, for payback is sweet revenge. – A ‘Nemesis’ against an opponent is gained when you kill them 4 times in a row without them killing or assisting in a kill against you. – A ‘Payback’ is given when you kill or help kill your Nemesis.
== New Music ==
– Newerth’s citizens, every now and then, take the time away from the battlefield to learn new musical scores. They have brought us six new songs to encourage us in battle!
– New songs: * The Missing Rune * Hope * From The Depths They Rose * The Chase * Overrun Lane * Kongor’s Lair
– Each map now has a custom music soundtrack that plays songs in a pre-determined order.
– In addition, several music related bugs were fixed: * Fixed music looping * Fixed playlist looping * Fixed music fade-out/fade-in * When a music track is stopped, it defaults to fading out * Music is now streamed rather than loaded upfront. This fixes an issue where lower-end computers would randomly hitch when the music switched. * When a music track ends, its memory is now freed
== Other Features ==
– BP bans increased from 3 to 4 – Single draft now has blind pick, meaning you won’t see the other team’s hero picks during hero selection – Banning draft will now switch bans immediately – Mid-bar completely redone for HoN 2.0 – Streak stats are no longer recorded for public games – Fixes for Caldavar so the creeps won’t start in tower range in bottom lane and the middle lane will be more even
== General ==
– Fixed GPM calculations. Gold that wasn’t counted in GPM before: * Passive * First blood bounty * Assists * Radius bounty * Was counting how much a player should have lost on death, rather than what he actually lost if he didn’t have enough gold
– Fixed a spot you can hit Kongor from outside of his pit – You can now also “buy all components” for items without components and it’ll just buy the individual item. – Swapping the minimap to right side now also swaps the location of attack modifiers – Added sounds to the pause/unpause countdown – You can no longer transfer items from your stash onto units that can’t carry items – Toggling mute on a player no longer /ignores them – Tweaked effects, voices, and animations of several heroes – A code tweak that will increase load time for computers with limited amount of virtual memory, but should help alleviate crashes due to running out of virtual memory (32 bit Vista and 7) – Gold will now max at 65535 instead of looping back to 0 – Sped up Frostwolf Skull projectile to 1500 (medium speed based on high and low ranges)
– Fixed up a lot of the stringtables – Fixed some divide by zero errors – Shrunk some giant textures – Custom Game renamed to Public Game – Fixed some map textures – Fixed follow coloring to update when first displayed – Fixed a crash when viewing match stats containing a null player slot – Added a unit voice delay slider to the options panel. Credit to Bangerz for the initial implementation. – Follow is now removed when removing buddy – Fixed model quality change crash – Fixed Tournament Mode not working on linux client – Replay_autoSkipPause cvar for auto skipping pauses in replays – Deleted un-used voice commands
== Bugfixes ==
– Previously, if a courier dropped an upgradeable item on you when you had a full inventory, including a recipe for that item, the recipe would be consumed but the item wouldn’t upgrade. Fixed. – Fixed a BombardierBoom Dust bug relating to casting it from long ranges resulting in quirky behavior –Chipperult won’t draw on the minimap anymore –Fayde‘s Burning Shadows now give small clearvision –Legionnaire‘s ult damage when he doesn’t kill now correctly does Magic damage (was a script error) –Pharaoh‘s Wall of Mummies will now grab people correctly to the middle –Tempest‘s Glacial Blasts won’t stun magic immune units or invulnerable units anymore – Fixed Arachna‘s ult still spawning if the target dies first –Thunderbringer‘s ult won’t hit illusions anymore –Vindicator‘s illusions won’t steal int from him anymore and will get the +2 int popup so it’s not obvious who the real one is –Blacksmith can now hit himself with Frenzy when it multicasts on another target –Gladiator‘s ult won’t wonk out anymore if he casts it while frozen and can’t turn –Gauntlet‘s fist won’t wonk out anymore if he casts it while frozen and can’t turn – Fixed the manacost of Defiler‘s Silence to match the tooltip correctly – Fixed Thunderclaw and Charged Hammer so they won’t go off on denies – Added double activate to Blood HunterBlood Crazy – Added double activate to SuccubusMesmerize – Made Succubusult undispellable – Made Tablet of Command unbind it’s target –Warbeast‘s Wolves won’t take the craters they come out of with them anymore
== Neutrals ==
– Neutrals now sleep at night * They have zero aggro range at night and normal aggro range in the day
Minotaur Neutral Creep:
– Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast
== Heroes ==
– Fixed some effects playing through fog: *GladiatorPitfall *MoraxusStomp *Bubbles‘teleport-to-Shell-Surf “water splash” *Bubbles‘ Song of the Sea
Balphagore – Fixed his illusions from eating creeps
Chipper – Fixed his ult from drawing on the minimap like silliness Devourer – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast Doctor Repulsor – Fixed missing tooltip info
Electrician – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast
Engineer – Turret now shoots twice as fast and the cap of number of hits removed. * Damage per bullet starts at 10/20/30/40 and is lowered by 10% for every bullet that hits you * The push starts at the same it was, but gets weaker the more you are hit * Snare is still max of 35% from 10 hits
Gauntlet – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast
Gladiator – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast – Added a glow to the whip
Legionnaire – Fixed a typo in his ult damage (was doing 300, should be 350) if you missed with it Maliken – Re-exported and cleaned up voice
Moraxus –Axes damage from 80/100/120/140 to 60/80/100/120
Myrmidon – New sounds – Fixed infinite life weed field – Fixed a bug that caused him to have a projectile with Frostwolf Skull even in melee form – Fixed a permanent vision bug
Nymphora –Pod is now 250 AOE, 1 second delay, and 60/120/180/240 Damage/Heal. Used to be 325 AOE, 2.5 second delay, 90/180/270/360 Damage/Heal.
Pebbles – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast
Sand Wraith – Fixed an issue with Dissipate that let him get some long range damage – Fixed a bug with the ult that reset the cooldown to the max length incorrectly when Mirage was used – Fixed the illusions incorrectly giving vision the whole duration of the ult instead of just while they are alive
Soul Reaper – Fixed him getting mana from hero kills correctly
Succubus – Fixed a damage/stun event to fix Bubbles wasting Take Cover autocast – Fixed heroes ulted by her not doing their idle animation after it ends
Tundra – Fixed his charge and interaction with Moraxus’ Shield
Wildsoul – Fixed a bug that caused him to have a projectile with Frostwolf Skull even in melee form
== Console Commands / UI Commands ==
* This section is mainly for modders
– StopMusic(true) will now fade out the current music track * StopMusic() will still stop it instantly
– New console command ‘MusicInfo’ * Displays the name of current track, length of current track, and position within current track
– New console command ‘MusicSeek’ * Allows you to jump to a specific time index within the current music track * The argument can be in ‘mm:ss’ format, for example 01:30, or in seconds, for example 90 * If the argument begins with ‘-‘ then it represents a time offset from the end of the track (for example -10 would seek to 10 seconds from the end of the current track)
– New console command ‘PlaylistStart’ * Begins playing the specified tracks in order. Example: PlaylistStart music/track_01.mp3 music/track_02.mp3 music/track_03.mp3
– New console command ‘PlaylistClear’ * Clears the current playlist
– New console command ‘PlaylistNext’ * Plays the next track in the playlist ** Fades out the current music track and fades in the next music track
– New console command ‘PlaylistInfo’ * Displays information about the current active playlist, including number of tracks, name of each track, and which track is currently active
This Friday S2games will have a Free 2 Play Weekend for the beta accounts, as well as a new patch that will offer new features.
A new unannounced games is being worked on, and S2Games are hiring !
The Map Editor is also not forgotten.
The bringers of the SavageGames – S2Games, releasedHeroes Of Newerth a few months ago. This Friday along with the new patch, S2Games will open their servers for the beta accounts who didn’t yet purchase an account.
HoN had several patches since the retail and improved a lot, with new heroes and balance fixes.
Now it’s your time to test the game again and see if it’s worth the $30 (full account) for you – for me it worth much much more, I am practically hooked to this game.
Also S2Games mentioned that they are still working on the highly anticipated Map Editor, and it’s due to be released in the future.
S2games are working on a new unannounced game (Savege3 ?) and thus hiring staff !
They need 2D/3D artists, animators,FX, riggers, designers and off course – programmers (C++).
If you think you are good enough, try to apply.
From The Official Free2Play Announcement :
This Friday we will be introducing a patch that has some really strong updates. A quick preview of what you will see in the patch includes:
1. Report A Player functionality
2. New hero based on DotA’s Kunkka – The Gladiator
3. Complete Rampage rework
4. Gauntlet changes and undev
5. A new Item
6. Bunch of misc. balances and tweaks
To go along with this excellent patch, we will be inviting all existing beta accounts, (that have not purchased) to come back and play HoN for FREE over the weekend. Starting Friday at noon EST and ending Sunday 11:59pm EST anyone can login with their old beta account and enjoy HoN once again.
Today the DOTA mod remake Heroes Of Newerth from S2games has gone retail !
S2Games made GNU/Linux clients for their Savage series and HoN is no exception !
It runs pretty good on GNU/Linux and offer a native 64-bit client.
Although the Savage series is free to play (with an option to buy premium stuff) HoN will require one fee of $30 in order to play. (SEA residents can still play for free at the moment).
For an online game one payment for life is not much at all, some online games demand a monthly payment.
Heroes of Newerth Has Launched! As of 4PM EST (-5 GMT) on May 12th, 2010, HoN has officially launched and gone retail!
“We hope that you will continue to support us as we move from a very successful beta to retail. With nearly three million users participating in the closed beta, we had a lot of help testing and have implemented many suggestions from our community.
We’re now working on bringing you more heroes, items, maps and features. HoN will also include team matchmaking, the long-awaited map editor, new modes, and achievements in the near future. HoN, in the words of Marc “Maliken” DeForest, CEO of S2 Games, “will never truly be finished.” This means that you can count on many new additions and features as HoN continues to evolve!”
Although the beta has ended the game will continue to evolve :
Here is a sneak peak of things to come:
• Consistent NEW Content Patches
• Arranged Team Matchmaking
• Full Scale Support for Competitive Play (many tournaments and more in-game features to come)
• New Game Modes
• SDK (includes Map Editor) – Empowering players to create their own games and different modes.
• The DREAM Program (propose your own heroes to be included in the next patches of HoN).
Heroes of Newerth is a Real Time Strategy/Real-Time Tactics online multiplayer game in which the player controls one of (at the time of writing) 64 heroes (many of whom are DOTA ports) and fights with his team against the other team (all of the team members controlled by humans).
Each hero has 4 different abilities and can level up, up to level 25 by killing other heroes and enemies.
The goal of the game is to destroy the other team’s main building.
I’ve just been informed by Kory Arseneau that the Heroes of Newerth Beta is now open for the holidays !
So if you don’t already have an account, you can now get it for a limited time.
Hurry up, the registration is for about 81Hours. (at the time this post was published)
Also for the holidays you can now buy a gift account of HoN for $30 and email it to your friends !