Starfarer is a single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements developed by Fractal Softworks
The alpha includes 6 combat missions of varying difficulty and a tutorial.
The tutorial explains combat & piloting basics, but does not touch on the “warroom” (which is the tactical interface you use to to give orders to your fleet, toggled with the Tab key).
Warroom controls are roughly similar to RTS controls, but if they’re giving you trouble, your best bet might be the manual. We’ll be sure to include a warroom tutorial at some point, it’s just not in yet.
You can also do some modding, if you’re so inclined (custom missions).
- Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
- Classic top down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
- Unique character development system – advance your story, your way
- Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
- Outfit hulls with your weapons of choice, and add ship systems to create crushing tactical combinations
- Explore hundreds of star systems to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and advanced alien technology
- Impact the inter-stellar economy with your decisions – decide the fate of entire planetary systems
- Fight to bring stability and prosperity to the sector – or watch it burn while you take advantage of the chaos
- Runs on GNU/Linux, Mac, and Windows
Starfarer Combat Trailer
You can preorder the game now for $10 and have access to the Alpha !
The full game once released will cost $20.
Thanks to Hamish Paul Wilson for letting us know about those good news and not forgetting about LGN.