A very small indie gaming company called “Volumes of Fun” are now porting their first game “Voxeliens” to GNU/Linux !
One of the developers Matt Williams, let me know that is should take about 1-2 months to finish the porting.
He also was happy to tell me that use the FOSS (free open source software) engine Ogre3D (which was used by many good and high quality games), QT as well as some open-source libraries.
They will be updating their blog on the porting progress, so it should be interesting to read how they are overcoming the technical challenges.
Voxeliens is a retro-style arcade shooter for the PC, in which you defend your planet from waves of descending enemies. The gameplay is simple and fast paced as you battle your way through different environments using a variety of powerups. Think Space Invaders would have been better in 3D? You’re right.
- Simple and fast-paced gameplay. Test your trigger finger and save the planet!
- Attractive voxel-based graphics capture the retro gaming spirit.
- Available for all recent versions of Windows (Linux version coming soon).
- No DRM of any kind. Single purchase gives access to downloads for all platforms.
- Everything ‘Space Invaders’ wishes it could have been!